Soundslides Forum

New method for modernizing old Flash-based Soundslides shows

I’ve been working on a method for upgrading old Flash-based slide shows that are currently self-hosted on web servers. Because of the death of Adobe Flash, these shows are going to be unviewable in a matter of months.

You can now modernize these shows by copying in one new HTML file.

Here’s a screencast demonstrating the process.

What does this new HTML file do exactly?

This HTML file allows you to upgrade your published slide show to the latest version of the Soundslides Player by replacing your slide show’s main HTML file. The new file contains all of the javascript and css needed to render an old show’s contents in the latest Soundslides Player.

This upgrade will work if your slide show meets the following criteria:

• Your slide show was originally created in Soundslides 1 or Soundslides Plus 1.
  • Your slide show is hosted on a web server.
  • You have access to copy/replace an HTML file in your show’s directory on that web server.

How to upgrade your show manually

1. Download the new HTML file and unzip it.
  2. Copy the file (named soundslides3.html) into your slide show’s directory online.
  3. Now view your slide show online using the soundslides3.html file.
  4. If everything looks ok, make a backup of your show’s index.html file and iframe.html file, then replace both of those files with a copy of soundslides3.html.

Troubleshooting

Soundslides 1 and Soundslides Plus 1 were upgraded many times over the course of 10 years. It is possible that I’ve missed one of the many formats that were used by the application. If the soundslides3.html file does not display your slide show, please email the show’s URL to help@tungite.com and I’ll take a look. I can usually get back to you within 2 business days.

If you have an old slide show URL, but are uncertain as to how to access your server space, reach out and hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

Joe

1 Like